Sunday, December 25, 2011

The Meaning of the Christmas Tree

Our church has a Christmas Eve service this year, it was a great service and a great way to start out the Christmas Celebration! I truly enjoyed it.

Our Pastor spoke about the meaning of the Christmas Tree that I had never heard before and I talked about it again with my kiddos before we opened a few gifts on Christmas Eve. I love learning the meaning of things, it just helps you to understand why you do what you do and it is another great way to keep Jesus at the center of your Christmas. I thought I would share what our Pastor spoke about with you!

The Star
The Star on the top of the tree has 5 points. When you look at them you can remember that Christ is called 1.Wonderful 2. Counselor 3. Mighty God 4. Everlasting Father 5. Prince of Peace

For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Isaiah 9:6

The lights
The lights represent that Jesus was a light to the world and that we are a reflection of Jesus as a light to the world as well.

Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.
In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.
Matthew 5:15-17

The gifts
The gifts represent Jesus as being the ultimate gift. One that will not grow old, wear out or have to be replaced. God sent his son for us to save us from our sins. Jesus came from heaven to earth so that we could one day go to heaven! We also receive many other gifts, the gifts of the spirit, etc. So we gifts gifts to each other in reminder of our perfect gift, Jesus!

My mother-in-law has a daily devotional and December 25th was very powerful. I thought it fit perfectly...


Try to imagine what I gave up when I came into your world as a baby. I set aside My Glory, so that I could identify with man kind. I accepted the limitations of infancy under the most appalling conditions-a filthy stable. That was a dark night for Me, even though angels lit up the sky proclaiming "Glory!" to awe-struck shepherds.
When you sit quietly with Me, the process I went through is reversed in your experience. As you identify with Me, heaven's vistas open up before you-granting you glimpses of My Glory. I became poor so that you might become rich. Sing hallelujah's to My holy Name!
~Jesus Calling, Enjoying Peace in His Presence by Sarah Young


I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and continue to have a Blessed New Year!


No comments:

Post a Comment